KIND welcomes the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals’ decision to uphold the temporary restraining order on President Trump’s executive order banning refugees and travelers from seven predominantly Muslim countries.
“Refugees are among the most vulnerable populations in the world,” said KIND President Wendy Young. “They have survived threats to their lives and cannot return home. They have been thoroughly vetted in a process that often takes years. Banning their arrival only increases the risk to their lives; it does not make our country safer.”
KIND is particularly concerned about refugee children caught up in this ban, including those who have received asylum through the Central American Minors (CAM) program. For example, on January 30, four of these children, 15 – 17 years old, had just landed in Miami from El Salvador and were on their way to a connecting flight when they were stopped, pulled into secondary inspection, and held for six hours. They were terrified and confused, not knowing if or when they would be released. The children were eventually released and able to continue their travel.
“The fact that this country is treating children who survived life-threatening violence and who had been granted U.S. protection in such a way is chilling,” Young said.
“We as a country can work together to balance our long-held commitment to protect the most vulnerable and national security without compromising our values and the rule of law,” said Young. “The Administration’s executive orders are not the way to do so.”
For more information, please contact Megan McKenna, firstname.lastname@example.org, 202-631-9990