KIND’s Central American Minors (CAM) Application Program provides free assistance to parents and legal guardians in the United States seeking to bring their children to the United States under the CAM program. CAM is a U.S. government program that provides qualifying parents and legal guardians in the United States who are in certain immigration categories an opportunity to apply for their qualifying children to reunify with them in the United States. Through CAM, parents and legal guardians can apply for qualifying children and certain family members in Guatemala, El Salvador, and Honduras to travel to the United States with refugee status. Those who are not granted refugee status may be able to apply for parole. KIND can help parents and legal guardians determine if they may be eligible for CAM, and if so, to prepare the CAM application, known as the Affidavit of Relationship or “AOR.”

If you would like to find out if you or someone you know may be eligible to apply for CAM, or if you are seeking help with a CAM application, please make a referral:

Refer a Case Now

KIND will screen all referrals and help parents and guardians prepare their CAM applications if they are eligible, getting them started with the process.

Note* that KIND’s role is limited to preparing the CAM application—CAM applications can only be submitted to the U.S. government by a designated Resettlement Agency in the United States. KIND is now working directly with the Resettlement Agencies to prepare CAM applications. CAM cases that are accepted for processing by the U.S. government will be assigned to a Resettlement Agency that will assist the family with the next steps of the process.


Questions about the CAM process? Please see our resources for families and advocates to learn about who qualifies for CAM, the CAM process, the information required for the application, and Frequently Asked Questions.

What is CAM and Who is Eligible?

Application Process FAQ

To apply for CAM, you must be a Qualifying Parent or Legal Guardian who is in the United States, over 18, and in a qualifying immigration category at the time your application is filed. You must have at least one Qualifying Child who is your biological, step or legally adopted child, under 21, unmarried, and living in and a national of El Salvador, Guatemala, or Honduras at the time your application is filed. The qualifying immigration categories for parents and legal guardians are:  

  • Lawful permanent resident; 
  • Temporary Protected Status; 
  • Parole (for a minimum of one year); 
  • Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) 
  • Deferred action, non-DACA (for a minimum of one year); 
  • Deferred enforced departure (DED); 
  • Withholding of Removal; 
  • With a pending asylum application filed before May 15, 2021; or 
  • With a pending U visa petition filed before May 15, 2021. 

To see the full eligibility criteria, please visit or Certain family members can also apply for CAM along with your Qualifying Child.  

KIND can help you determine if you qualify to apply for the CAM program. Please submit a referral if you would like your case to be screened.  

CAM applications can only be submitted to the US government by a designated Resettlement Agency in the United States. The Resettlement Agencies are all non-profit organizations that work with the government on the CAM program. KIND is now supporting the Resettlement Agencies by preparing CAM applications. Parents and children cannot submit CAM applications to the government on their own, with lawyers or notarios, so you must contact KIND or a Resettlement Agency to start the application process.  

So how can you reach KIND or a Resettlement Agency? There are two ways:  

  1. Call the CAM Hotline at (917) 410 7546 and leave a message with your name and number, or email the Hotline at The CAM Hotline will call you back and conduct an initial screening of your case. If you may be eligible, the CAM Hotline can refer your case to KIND to fill out your application.   
  2. Submit a referral directly to KIND at KIND will call you back to screen your case and can place your case with a case worker to start your application if you may be eligible for CAM.  

For KIND or the CAM Hotline to screen your case for CAM, you will have to provide detailed information about yourself and your family members. Before contacting KIND or the CAM Hotline, please be ready to provide the following information:  

  • Your:  
    • Full name,  
    • Immigration category,  
    • Phone number,  
    • Address,  
    • Email address.  
  • Your child or children’s:  
    • Date of birth,  
    • Phone number, and  
    • Country of origin. 

For information about how to contact KIND or the CAM Hotline for eligibility screening and the information you will need to start a CAM application, please see “How Can I Start a CAM Application” above. If your family appears to qualify, KIND can help you prepare the CAM application form, which is called the Affidavit of Relationship or AOR. When the application is completed, KIND will send it back to a Resettlement Agency for review. The Resettlement Agency will then submit the application to the U.S. government 

The government will assign you a case number and a local Resettlement Agency, and will send your case to the International Organization for Migration (IOM), the Resettlement Support Center in Latin America. Once IOM receives your case, they will contact your child for a pre-screening interview, as well as any other family members who are applying with your child. It is essential that all family members who are applying attend that interview.  

After that, if DNA testing is required to confirm biological relationships, your assigned Resettlement Agency will notify you when you must take a DNA test along with the relevant instructions for initiating the DNA test. The government will pay for the DNA tests. IOM will then collect DNA from your family members.  The DNA test results will be sent to both you and the U.S. government.  

If the DNA test is positive, the government will then conduct a series of security checks.  Once cleared, the IOM will schedule a refugee interview with a USCIS officer 

In this interview, the USCIS officer will ask your child and other family members about threats or persecution that they have experienced, or their fear of threats or persecution. Your child and certain other family members must all individually prove their refugee claims. Again, it is essential that all family members who are applying with your child attend the interview.  

After the interview, the USCIS officer will then determine if your family members are eligible for refugee status or if they will be considered for parole, or if they will be denied.  Refugee status claims are very complex, and it may take a long time for the USICS officer to make a decision about their cases.  

If your child and other family members are granted refugee status, the IOM will notify them of the decision. They will receive medical exams and undergo other background checks. At that point, the government will also confirm that your U.S. immigration category is still valid.  

When these steps are completed, your Resettlement Agency will provide your family with a cultural orientation prior to their travel. The RSC will then receive final travel clearances from the government, and will organize your family members’ travel to the U.S. Your Resettlement Agency will provide you with refugee reception and placement services for a period of three months.  

If your child and other family members are granted parole, parole will provide a temporary stay of up to 3 years in the United States. Those approved for parole can also apply for work authorization while they are in the U.S. If you are granted parole, we recommend that you contact the CAM Hotline for further guidance, at USA: 917 410 7546, Central America: +503 2113 3539, or by email at 

If your child or family members are denied refugee status and considered for parole, you can request that the decision be reviewed and reconsidered for refugee status. 

No. There is no fee to submit the initial CAM application (Affidavit of Relationship or AOR) for the CAM program, and no one is allowed to charge you money to complete the CAM application. If someone asks you for money for a CAM application, do not pay them or provide them with your information. You can report fraud to the CAM Hotline at USA: 917 410 7546, El Salvador: +503 2113 3539, or send an email to  

Please remember, there is no charge to fill out the CAM application. HOWEVER, please be aware that there can be some costs to you if your case is approved with CAM parole towards the end of the process. If your case is approved for CAM Parole, you will have to cover the costs of your family’s medical exams and plane tickets. You will receive instructions about these costs from the International Organization for Migration, IOM, which is the Resettlement Support Center in the CAM process, if your case is approved for parole.  

FAQ Videos

Visit KIND's YouTube Channel

For more information, visit KIND’s CAM Application Program YouTube Chanel to watch our full series of videos in English and Spanish.

Contact Us

Have additional questions about the CAM application process? You can contact KIND at:

+1 (855) 477-9998


KIND’s CAM Application Program is funded through a gift of the United States Government.

KIND thanks the U.S. State Department’s Bureau of Population, Refugees and Migration for its support.