Separating immigrant and refugee children from their parents is a barbaric policy that must end. Below are actions you can take to help end the needless suffering of these children and their families.
Tell your Representative and Senator to vote NO on House Republican bills and Senate bills that purport to end family separation. These bills will allow the U.S. government to hold immigrant children indefinitely in punitive, jail-like settings.
Trump’s Executive Order is not the answer to family separation. As with the House and Senate bills, it allows for children to be held for long periods of time in jail-like facilities.
Sign the petition
Add your name to this KIND/Change.org online campaign to urge Department of Homeland Security Secretary Nielsen to end family separation at the border: https://www.change.org/p/department-of-homeland-security-stop-tearing-families-apart
Spread the word
Follow KIND online @supportkind on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram to get the latest news and information about family separation and the protection of children. Use these hashtags:
Contact your Member of Congress
Urge your Senators and Representative to:
- End the policy of separating and jailing families. Demand that President Trump, DHS Secretary Nielsen, and Attorney General Sessions end family separation and detention through social media, letters, appropriations, and in Congressional hearings
- Support efforts to defund family separation in appropriations and decrease funding for Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Customs and Border Protection, and the U.S. Attorneys’ Offices within the Department of Justice
- Urge your Member of Congress to cosponsor the following legislation:
- S. 3036 – Keep Families Together Act
- R. 2572 – Protect Family Values at the Border Act
- R. 5950/S.2937 – the HELP Separated Children Act
- R. 2043/S. 2468 – Fair Day in Court for Kids Act of 2018
- What you need to know about family separation at the border: https://supportkind.org/media/family-separation-at-the-border/
In Spanish: https://supportkind.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/SPANISH_Family-Separation-at-the-Border-5.31.2018-FINAL.pdf
Posts to social media:
Article Resources Explaining Family Separation:
Vox: The Trump administration’s separation of families at the border, explained
Vox: Trump might temporarily house immigrant kids taken from parents in “tent cities”
- The Truth About Family Separation: Myth vs. Fact: https://supportkind.org/resources/family-separation-myth-v-fact/
Post on social media:
- Death by a Thousand Cuts – The Trump Administration’s Systematic Assault on the Protection of Unaccompanied Children: https://supportkind.org/resources/death-by-a-thousand-cuts/
Posts to social media:
- Basic protections for children, including asylum, are not loopholes:
- The Trump Admin is taking cruel aim at children to achieve its anti-immigrant policy goals. So-called loopholes are in fact forms of protection that ensure we do not return unaccompanied children to grave danger #NotALoophole
- The Trump Admin is framing asylum and legal protection for unaccompanied children as “loopholes” in our immigration system. Here are the facts that they refuse to discuss #NotALoophole
- These children are fleeing extreme violence -access to legal relief in the US is the difference between having a safe childhood or being deported back to a country where their lives are in danger #NotALoophole
Your help could mean the difference between a child who needs protection being sent back to his or her home country where the child’s life may be in danger – and the child being able to stay in the U.S. to live in safety and freedom. https://supportkind.org/donate/
Posts on Social Media
Download a PDF version of the below fact sheet here.